URGENT!! Need help to restore factory setting

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital III

URGENT!! Need help to restore factory setting

Postby koshinohouse » Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Ok, I have been trying to figure out how to restore factory settings, means including times etcs...

I searched and some ppl said u can go to menu and the last one is the restoring... that is not what I want... i want to be able to restore back in where once u turn on ur GRDIII, they asked u to set up time and date etc... everything and EVERYTHING yes, to factory settings...

ps. sorry to be mean .. but for those who trying to ask "why would you wanna do that"... i think u can leave now...
koshinohouse

Re: URGENT!! Need help to restore factory setting

Postby odklizec » Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 am

Hi koshinohouse and welcome here. There is something like "hard reset" in every Ricoh camera but to be quite honest, I don't have any clue what degree of reset it actually does? It may or may not reset EVERYTHING. I just never tried this "secret" reset. If you wish to be the lab rat who will test it first, you can try these steps...

Be warned that this "reset" is NOT intended for public use! I'm not responsible for any damage caused by the following steps!!!

- Switch the mode dial to Scene Mode.
- Press and hold the FN2 + Play button for a sec or two >> you should get a message "INITIALIZE THE SETTING".
- Press YES to start the reset procedure.

That's it! If your camera exploded or simply extended its legs and run away, don't say I did not warn you! ;) If the camera survives, please let us all know what exactly it did.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Marana » Tue May 25, 2010 3:34 am

Oh my gosh! I just did this for fun on my CX1, and it reset the shutter count to 0! This means that anyone can sell any Ricoh online as brand new and still be cheating. Yargh! In addition, it asked me to input the date and time again, just like it was new, and turned everything back to default factory settings. It still retained the newest firmware versions, though.
-Sandy
Marana
Site Supporter

Postby Detail Man » Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 am

Sandy,

I remember that Pavel (not too long ago) was able to determine the total number of camera shots from (somewhere) in the EXIF data of a recorded image-file that you had a prospective camera seller email to you.

I've used ExifTool GUI 3.38 to look at the EXIF data of your recently posted JPG (the full-sized "4621333479_ec2c8b3665_o.jpg"), as well as my DMC-LX3 JPG and RW2 image-files. I am not able (using the ExifTool 3.38 interface) to find any such data (which hopefully would still inform the prospective buyer of the camera's total number of shots, regardless of any hardware-resets).

Perhaps Pavel might share the command-line instruction for ExifTool that reveals this (clearly) important information! ... :P
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Postby koshinohouse » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 am

odklizec wrote:Hi koshinohouse and welcome here. There is something like "hard reset" in every Ricoh camera but to be quite honest, I don't have any clue what degree of reset it actually does? It may or may not reset EVERYTHING. I just never tried this "secret" reset. If you wish to be the lab rat who will test it first, you can try these steps...

Be warned that this "reset" is NOT intended for public use! I'm not responsible for any damage caused by the following steps!!!

- Switch the mode dial to Scene Mode.
- Press and hold the FN2 + Play button for a sec or two >> you should get a message "INITIALIZE THE SETTING".
- Press YES to start the reset procedure.

That's it! If your camera exploded or simply extended its legs and run away, don't say I did not warn you! ;) If the camera survives, please let us all know what exactly it did.

You are officially my master!!
koshinohouse

Postby odklizec » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 am

Sandy Sandy Sandy...didn't I warn you? ;) I hope you enjoyed your minute of fun? :D

Now I'm not quite sure if I should revel the exiftool secret? I mean, if I tell you the secret, anyone skilled enough will be able to change the appropriate EXIF tag and we will lost the last way how to find the actual shutter count. But once the camera is "cleaned" all images taken since then will contain incorrect (reset) shutter count as well. So the only way how to find the actual shutter count is to check the photos taken before the reset.

On the other hand, I don't think the actual shutter count means much. If the camera is heavily used, there will be some wears and tears around the body. High shutter count alone is usually not a problem. Some timelapse people here and at dpreview reported 50000 or even 100000 shutter actuations and their cameras still work fine. My heavily used GRDII says 9000 shots and still works fine. What I want to say is that the actual shutter count alone is not that important. The camera may took only 500 shots, but if dropped it may be in much worse shape than 2 years old camera with 10000 actuations!
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Marana » Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 am

My world is falling apart! Heheheh. Well, you're right about how the camera would show other signs of wear along with the high shutter count. It simply means that it's not as easy to find out over the Internet what the real shutter count is, sight unseen, without seeing the condition of the camera. Which is what people in countries like the US HAVE to do, where the GX200 is no longer available. Guess I will have to trust in human nature more, :D

I am also considering the LX3, but I really, REALLY like the multi-p white balance of the Ricoh. I love having to make as few corrections as possible in post processing. It seems as though the more I have to work on it, the faker it looks. Then, after spending a half an hour "improving" the photo, I find I like the original pic more anyway.
-Sandy
Marana
Site Supporter

Postby Detail Man » Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 am

odklizec wrote:... Now I'm not quite sure if I should revel the exiftool secret? I mean, if I tell you the secret, anyone skilled enough will be able to change the appropriate EXIF tag and we will lost the last way how to find the actual shutter count. But once the camera is "cleaned" all images taken since then will contain incorrect (reset) shutter count as well. So the only way how to find the actual shutter count is to check the photos taken before the reset.

I recognize your point about potential modification of the "odometer". I had considered reading-only, but now that you point out the re-write-ability of the data, your thoughts makes sense.

Since it appears that you are saying that the "service-mode", "big-time", "hard-reset" of the camera hardware wipes out the total-images-recorded information that I referred to (anyway), there seems no reason to divulge the ExifTool "crown jewels" ... :P

(Sort of like re-flashing firmware, but probably safer), the "hard-reset" does have an adrenaline-generating appeal ... sort of like jumping from some height hoping your parachute will work ... :mrgreen:

On the other hand, I don't think the actual shutter count means much.

Perhaps it is not true on Ricoh's - but my Panasonic Lumix shutter-buttons begin to soften (though not fail) to the touch after about 10,000 presses (or so), and some have (as a result) become a little bit "too easy" to go from half-depressed to fully-depressed. Are Ricoh shutter-buttons free from such effects of use?

If the camera is heavily used, there will be some wears and tears around the body.

It's true that 500 shots per outing could result in a lot less physical wear/tear than 5 - 50 shots per outing! ... :P
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Postby Marana » Tue May 25, 2010 10:41 am

Hey Detail Man, you'll be pleased to know that I'm going to try the Panasonic Lumix first. I couldn't decide between the two cameras, an LX3 or a GX200, both have good points (and good advocates.) But, seeing as how the GX200 would be coming from Taiwan and the seller said it could take two months to get here, I thought I'd give the local guys a try first. If I don't like it, I can send it back. If I don't like the one from Taiwan, it's back to selling it eBay or Craigslist, which can be tedious, ;)
-Sandy
Marana
Site Supporter

Postby Detail Man » Tue May 25, 2010 11:06 am

Marana wrote:... I am also considering the LX3, but I really, REALLY like the multi-p white balance of the Ricoh. I love having to make as few corrections as possible in post processing ...

Interesting stuff (this multiple-point WB functionality). The color temperature is shifted depending on the tone-level of the image information ...

"Automatic recognition of sunlight and shade areas / strong and weak flash for optimal color reproduction
When shooting people in a scene that includes sunlight and shade light sources, it is difficult to achieve optimal color reproduction by the conventional method, which sets the same white balance (WB) parameters for the entire image." ...

... "Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance Technology
When shooting scenes that include multiple light sources, such as sunlight and shade or flash, light sources are recognized automatically and the image is separated into different areas. White balance is adjusted separately in each area according to the different light sources to achieve optimal color reproduction. Automatic recognition of sunlight and shade areas / strong and weak flash for optimal color reproduction. When shooting people in a scene that includes sunlight and shade light sources, it is difficult to achieve optimal color reproduction by the conventional method, which sets the same white balance (WB) parameters for the entire image.

If WB parameters are set for the entire image, they are set either to the background sunlit area or to people in the shade. Then, the color tone of the resulting picture is unnatural. The new method, called Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance (Multi-Pattern AWB) or Multi-pattern AUTO, sets WB parameters for sunlight and shade areas separately. Therefore the colors of both background sunlit areas and shade areas are reproduced properly.

Multi-Pattern AWB automatically sets different WB parameters for areas of different flash light intensity. As shown in Photo 1 (a), because WB is adjusted to the background area and the parameters are set for the entire image, the color of people's faces is whitish blue, where the flash is strong. In Photo 1(b), Multi-Pattern AUTO sets WB parameters for the background based on an incandescent (bulb) light source and sets WB parameters for people’s faces based on strong flash exposure. Colors of both background and people are thus properly reproduced." ...

... "Advanced area recognition function and high-performance classifier data
To realize Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance for a scene comprising mixed sunlight and shade areas, highly accurate sunlight and shade recognition technology is necessary. With this method, selective readings are taken from both sunlight and shade to perform recognition for automatic area segmenting. Color is optimally reproduced in different areas corresponding to the various light sources.

High-quality, robust classifier data is necessary for recognition. The classifier data is gathered from an accumulated knowledge base, using many digital camera images of sunlight and shade areas. The classifier data is kept small and manageable, so that the camera can recognize sunlight and shade areas quickly and accurately to realize Multi-Pattern AWB."

http://www.ricoh.com/technology/tech/026.html

It's interesting to note that the color-temperature shifts as some function of tone-level (absolute, or perhaps in some way relative) with the recorded image are selected from look-up tables for typical applications recorded in compiling a Ricoh database. However, there is no reason to argue with success and user satisfaction ...

While the DMC-LX3 does allow 2-Dimensional WB independent tweaking in all of the various WB modes modes that stays fixed for each of the particular modes (unless the Custom WB-1, Custom WB-2, or the Variable Color Temperature modes are changed), and it does (in some proprietary, unknown way) alter the WB when shooting with a flash, there is no equivalent in the DMC-LX3 "Auto WB" mode to the Ricoh "Multi-point WB" approach! ... :P
Last edited by Detail Man on Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Ricoh GR Digital III