adj wheel fixed

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

adj wheel fixed

Postby manologo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:30 am

First of all I have to credit the man that gave me the solution in a flickr discussion group, here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/grdigital/ ... 942701944/

The solution that worked for me just yesterday is:
Drop a few drops of alcohol in the adj wheel (I dropped four drops) and problem solved, no more freezes. I used the camera several times since yesterday and nothing wrong happened.
Needless to say that I'm not responsible if this doesn't work for you. For now it saved me 150 euros in repair.

I just have to share this with you because I'm very happy now and I know how frustrating is to have the camera we love acting like that.
manologo

Re: adj wheel fixed

Postby odklizec » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Ho manologo and welcome here! And thanks for the tip! I think this is not permanent solution of this Adj wheel issue. But it's definitely nice to know a possible workaround. Please let us know in case the problem reappears!
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Lili » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:26 am

This worked for me!
I am back in Ricoh Land!
Lili
Site Supporter

Postby Detail Man » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 am

It sounds like this "fix" is (likely, perhaps) removing some material that has managed to interfere with a reliable electrical connection on the switch-contacts of the "Adjustment Wheel" ...

Note: Ethyl Alcohol (ethanol) that has been well-sealed in it's container from taking up water and other impurities from the surrounding atmosphere is a much better alternative to using Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol (which contains significantly more impurities). Such impurities can crystallize as "salts" (not the table-variety) on the surface of the electrical switch-contacts, potentially causing further electrical contact problems (and possible corrosion of the plated surfaces of the switch-contacts themselves) as time goes on.
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Postby manologo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Odklizec, is sad for me to say that you were right, after a few days the problem came back.
manologo

Postby Schaki » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:24 pm

manologo wrote:Odklizec, is sad for me to say that you were right, after a few days the problem came back.

I traded one of my two old Coolpix 700 for a Sony DSC-V1 which had a moisture damage to its power-button, directly on the chipset below.
Sometimes it required several pushes to turn on or off, no matter how I pushed or how hard. I used CRC oxide clean PRO and now 3-4 weeks later it still works perfect.
Schaki

Postby mr.datsun » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:20 am

Just got out my 40mm adaptor and fitted on a GRD. First thing I found was the camera was freezing when I used the ADJ. Realising I had pulled my 1st (with dodgy adj wheel) GRD out of the draw I felt sad to put it away. Found this thread and used some lens cleaner. 1 drop onto the adj. Rotated it good and then let it dry.

First owned GRD camera now works reliably for first time since I had replaced it with a second generation GRD1 with its new design ADj wheel.

Thanks for the OP's thread.
mr.datsun

Postby focal8 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello, I have a GRDigital 1 that has the problem of the ADJ wheel that blocks but as it gives me good pictures I will not repair it: it will cost me dear (I got this Ricoh for 25 €!) And rare are the repairers who still make this model in France.
I have isopropyl alcohol at home for cleaning sensors but I do not dare put a few drops of fear to do worse than better.
focal8

Postby MarcusEyre1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:33 am

Hi there Focal8...I too have a GRD1 with the Adj wheel problem...a friend who also has one swears by the method of a drop of WD40 (or light oil maybe), very carefully in the gap...I'll do mine soon and let you know how it goes...it fixed his like new...good luck. ;)
MarcusEyre1
Site Supporter

Postby focal8 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Thank you very much, I continue to follow the progress.
focal8

Next

Return to Ricoh GR Digital