b/w or color?

Here you can post your "People/Faces" photos

b/w or color?

Postby riccadonna » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 pm

The old dilemma, what works better b/w or colour. We are a bit spoiled and confused having the option. Even when I set display to b/w to see in b/w shooting RAW gives me option to have colour as well. If I shot only JPEG in b/w decision would be taken, b/w that it and nothing else. I started my Ricoh adventure shooting mainly b/w and only JPEG.
I was pretty satisfied with the results. Then the devil pressing the max sharpness of my files made me to turn to RAW, also giving me greater playroom to tune b/w, you know darken the sky lighten the greens and so on. I did notice that shooting RAW gives you sharper pict but also some noise especially white specs which are removed in camera while shooting JPEG. Removing noise in RAW pict softens it a bit and I will have yet to make some comparison whats pays. Another a bit annoying thing with good ol` GXR is that shooting RAW makes it slow. Shoot 3-4 Raws and you`ll have to wait 8 sec to clear buffer. With JPEG the camera is so much faster. Blah, Blah, Blah. Back to the picts, what works better. Difficult to decide as the motive is really Black and White, not to offend anybody. See you, Stanislaw
R0035901bwweb.jpg
R0035901bwweb.jpg (404.74 KiB) Viewed 166 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:24 pm
Shutter speed: 1/200 Sec
F-number: F/1
ISO speed rating: 800
Whitebalance: Manual
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: GXR MOUNT A12
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias: -10/10 EV
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
R0035901web.jpg
R0035901web.jpg (447.79 KiB) Viewed 165 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:24 pm
Shutter speed: 1/200 Sec
F-number: F/1
ISO speed rating: 800
Whitebalance: Manual
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: GXR MOUNT A12
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias: -10/10 EV
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
riccadonna

Re: b/w or color?

Postby thelps » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:44 am

The colour image is quite monochromatic on the left and the colour is all to the right.
For me if its balance you want go the BW. The orange light, yellow bin and red jacket a distraction.
But I think I like the colour one. Its a hilarious image
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Re: b/w or color?

Postby riccadonna » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks Tim. Your remark about monochromatic left part of colour version is something that I didn`t think of. It touches upon a perhaps the ultimate goal shooting colour picture which is general monochromatic background with colour part of interest. Of course I`m not talking about PS manipulation. I agree with you that b/w pictures removes some of colour distraction inducing more calm. Stanislaw
riccadonna

Return to People/Faces